Making oral care part of a family affair can help children create positive habits from a young age.
In fact, they say it takes 2-3 weeks to create a habit, so imagine what could be instilled in the first 3-5 years of childhood that your child will carry with them into adulthood? Emulating a good routine and healthy habits will better ensure your child or children grow up with the same outlook and character traits. So start early, and watch the healthy habits grow!
When to Start Dental Treatments
Parents often hear differing opinions on when to start their child’s first dental treatments, but it is when your child’s teeth first appear that you should book an appointment.
Although this might seem early, it is a good time to start those healthy habits we mentioned, and have your child seeing that the dentist office is a fun and positive place to go. Because healthy teeth mean minimal treatments, and simple cleanings.
In addition, starting young means your dentist can apply preventative measures to your child’s teeth such as sealants – which prevent cavity causing bacteria from getting into the soft pits of your child’s larger back teeth, and fluoride supplements, in case they are low for a variety of reasons.
Also, starting early can help offer you, the parent, helpful reminders about proper oral hygiene for young children. Toothbrush and toothpaste types to use, and a simple refresher on brushing techniques.
Keep in mind, young children are at risk for dental concerns if they…
- sleep with a bottle
- drink a lot of juice during the day
- have undetected problematic tooth development
- grind their teeth
- suck their thumb or have a soother for extended years
At DentistsRUs, we offer a community of care and provide dental professionals across the Lower Mainland. So call or click on any of them below, and allow us to help your family create good oral habits from the start!
- Burnaby Sedation & General Dentistry | 250 – 3433 North Rd. Burnaby, BC | View
- Langley Sedation & General Dentistry | #103 – 19978 72nd Avenue Langley, BC | View
- Tri-City Sedation & General Dentistry | #1412-2929 Barnet Hwy, Coquitlam, BC | View
- Coast Meridian Sedation & General Dentistry | #103 3380 David Ave, Coquitlam, BC | View
- New Westminster Sedation & General Dentistry | 243-800 Carnarvon St. New Westminster | View